It is called "the city of the two seas", Taranto, bathed by the Great Sea and the Small Sea, with a strategic position that has made it the protagonist of important historical events. The most precious ancient evidence is kept at the National Archaeological Museum, the Marta, where it is possible to admire the famous "Ori di Taranto", refined productions of the local goldsmith’s art between the IV and the II century BC, in addition to the immense collection of archaeological finds from all over the Ionian province.
History of Taranto runs along the two bridges that connect the old town to the modern one. In addition to the stone bridge built after the 1883 flood, the revolving bridge inaugurated in 1887 continues to have the charm of the great mechanical engineering works and leads into the maze of alleys around the central Via Cava, along which flourish several craft shops. In this isthmus of land stand noble architecture and churches of different eras and styles such as the Cathedral of San Cataldo between Romanesque and Baroque, or that of San Domenico with Gothic features.